Sunday, May 30, 2010

Module 3 Chapter 4: Stenciled braids onto fabric

Ch 4: Stenciled braids onto fabric
I took the pieces of material I dyed for module 1 that were not the colour I wanted (the dull greens and orange), or were left over from the certificate (they didn't make the grade then) and I attempted to convert them into something interesting and useable.
It was illuminating - I was limited in choice of colour in paint sticks and fabric paints as they have been collected as I do a module. My study topic is the Hutt river estuary - with flax, shells, river and sea etc. I found if I chose a colour that did not fit either the the topic or the colour of the background eg mauve or chlorophyll, I could improve it by adding more layers. I was almost beaten with the light yellow and mauve on dull green, but dark blue stencil placed to cover the other colours helped. The other learning point which is obvious if I had thought is Deka silk paints out of the jar cannot be used for stencils- hence the appearance of red overdye on paler dyed fabric.

ch 4 stenciled designs p12
In these small samples the stencil designs may be hard to see particularly when 2or 3 are overlaid. But I like the complexity - I used calico, voile and scrim as background.
Now onto ch 5 and making braids.
Good stitching every one.

Module 3 chapter 3. Paper Braids as Stencils

chapter 3- paper braids as stencils- woven and open structures P10

Next shaped braids and single hollow shapes P11
I developed a dreadful cold so stayed at home and slept and late afternoon did some of the hollow shapes.
The weekend has been cold with a lot of rain, and so as I was mainly house bound I got on with chapter 4.

Module 3 chapter 2. Development work from research

module 3 got more fun when it was time to get the pencils, threads and paints out. I used dish cloth cotton for the braid samples and hessian rope for 2 of the braid blocks and the cotton for the other. I looked for an inexpensive option.
first drawing patterns p6

next braid stitches as printing blocks- I was on holiday when I did most of these and I pinned the rug canvas with braid stitch onto drift wood with sewing pins- it worked OK.
Pages 7 and 8  (apologies I put the number on these 2 sheets after scanning)

and finally p9 Plaited and woven braids and knots
I did my 3 D piece and extra work for module 2 after this so it was a while before I got back to module 3.

Module 3 Chapter 1. Historical Study of English Embroidery: Tudor Period

I am posting my work on Module 3 ch 1-4 - each chapter as separate posts
Chapter 1 is the study of strapwork during the Tudor period.

The historical study always seems daunting but I enjoyed attempting to draw the strapwork patterns. I am in awe of the people who designed and drew patterns for tiles, clothing, furnishings and then reproduced them.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

3 D functional object- necklace

I have experimented and rethreaded shapes and can now wear the necklace comfortably. Below are my final design sheets and pictures of the final necklace. It would also look  look good as decoration on a jacket or suspended with the light on it.

Now I can get back to module 3. I shall post at the weekend the first 2 chapters. I am so relieved to have completed this piece. Enjoy your sewing all the distant stitchers.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Updates for module 2

Another long gap in posting - our printer/ scanner broke and photos of work were not detailed enough. I am now mastering the new scanner and have finally done updates that Sian asked for, to complete work on module 2.

More samples for chapter 3- Sian suggested that some of my stitched samples didn't match with the papers and perhaps I could do a sample to reflect a paper in the colours of the paper. Well I must confess I don't always read the instructions well, and I did do some decorated papers, put them away, then got out all the ugliest threads I wanted to lose and did some sewing.
the samples below I like a lot more

Next more detail on shapes and figures and main pattern for the opus anglicanum study

For chapter 5 Sian suggested less conventional items as threads and mesh- so I have used some wind break cloth, raffia as a substitute for dried reeds, old fishing line found on the beach at the Hutt estuary and some cotton dyed thread.

As you can see I have not sorted out how to change the scanner back to A4 size after I finally got it to scan A3
The next challenge suggested was to use more personal materials in couched samples for chapter 6- well I knew I was collecting the metal wine bottle tops for something and I think when cut up they make good beach debris, and suns and or flowers. The inner seal is cut in shapes from the historical study. I also used bent (found) wire and painted flax pods,  painted plastic tube and foil plus the fishing line. All of these could be found at the estuary after a good southerly storm.

  Finally I have done additional sewing on two of my samples for chapter 9 - the top sample p13 and lower sample for p 14.

I wanted to compare the scanner with my photo taken on digital camera so here is my resolved sample again.

I have made the 3D necklace but have to restring it all so my next posting will be soon.

Enjoy your sewing Distant Stitchers and please keep posting your work.