Given Kiwis are supposed to be able to make anything with number 8 fencing wire I put it to the test and asked my Kiwi partner to unbend some coat hangers-
this is probably not within the rules but I lacked arm strength to be able to untwist. I did the cutting and bending into shape, joining and framing.
I lined the back with black calico about 6mm from the edge- this was necessary to provide a firm, secure edge to lace the felt to.
Below are pictures of the hanging and close up of the frame and lacing. Size is 68 cm x 52 cm including the frame.
and finally analysis.
So at my tortoise pace, I have hopefully completed 3 assessment pieces and 4 modules.
It is a long time since I posted.
I have now finished my 3rd assessment piece - there were many learnings along the way-
-using different wools means that they do not felt the same-
-I felted both pieces twice to make them stiffer and then found that they were no longer the same size.
- the wobbly edges meant I needed to even them up to be able to join pieces -
but the slivers became most useful during framing.
First materials methods and what I did
Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the 2 felts before I stitched and cut- or I cannot find them- it was so long ago
Below is the felted, stitched hanging, the two pieces were first stitched and then cut and rejoined.
It is pegged to a coathanger - as you can see it does not hang very well without some method of stiffening (or I could have started again and made thicker felt). Below are close ups of stitching.
I completed the sewing a while ago but went into a complete black hole about how to present it.
Below are 2 ideas I tried on the small sample piece
I found the green wire at the estuary. There was not enough for the larger hanging, the lengths of wire are bent to hook together.