Tuesday, March 19, 2013

3rd Assessment Piece, Felt Hanging -At the estuary

It is a long time since I posted.
I have now finished  my 3rd assessment piece - there were many learnings along the way-
-using different wools means that they do not felt the same-
-I felted both pieces twice to make them stiffer and then found that they were no longer the same size.
- the wobbly edges meant I needed to even them up to be able to join pieces -
but the slivers became most useful during framing.

First materials methods and what I did
Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the 2 felts before I stitched and cut- or I cannot find them- it was so long ago
Below is the felted, stitched hanging, the two pieces were first stitched and then cut and rejoined.
It is pegged to a coathanger - as you can see  it does not hang very well without some method of stiffening (or I could have started again and made thicker felt). Below are close ups of stitching.

 I completed the sewing a while ago but went into a complete black hole about how to present it. 
Below are 2 ideas I tried on the small sample piece

I found the green wire  at the estuary. There was not enough for the larger hanging, the lengths of wire are bent to hook together.

More details on framing and costing

Onto the next post

No comments:

Post a Comment