Given Kiwis are supposed to be able to make anything with number 8 fencing wire I put it to the test and asked my Kiwi partner to unbend some coat hangers-
this is probably not within the rules but I lacked arm strength to be able to untwist. I did the cutting and bending into shape, joining and framing.
I lined the back with black calico about 6mm from the edge- this was necessary to provide a firm, secure edge to lace the felt to.
Below are pictures of the hanging and close up of the frame and lacing. Size is 68 cm x 52 cm including the frame.
and finally analysis.
Enjoy your stitching distant stitchers.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
It is a long time since I posted.
I have now finished my 3rd assessment piece - there were many learnings along the way-
-using different wools means that they do not felt the same-
-I felted both pieces twice to make them stiffer and then found that they were no longer the same size.
- the wobbly edges meant I needed to even them up to be able to join pieces -
but the slivers became most useful during framing.
First materials methods and what I did
Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the 2 felts before I stitched and cut- or I cannot find them- it was so long ago
Below is the felted, stitched hanging, the two pieces were first stitched and then cut and rejoined.
It is pegged to a coathanger - as you can see it does not hang very well without some method of stiffening (or I could have started again and made thicker felt). Below are close ups of stitching.
I completed the sewing a while ago but went into a complete black hole about how to present it.
Below are 2 ideas I tried on the small sample piece
I found the green wire at the estuary. There was not enough for the larger hanging, the lengths of wire are bent to hook together.
More details on framing and costing
Onto the next post